My idea is...

The Best Kept Secret in Science Education

I have the best idea to engage children in science and it is the most important and exciting job in science. I run a primary science lab.

Students from K – 6 attend the lab with their teachers and we learn the science together. The lab sets the engaging scene, is designed to excite young minds about science and cultivate their natural curiosity. Giant pterosaurs hang from the ceiling, aquariums and bug breeding boxes are on display. The room focuses on simplicity, engagement, and student outcomes.

The lab has run for nine years and the idea is permeating through our education system, driven by willing principals and teachers (not policy). The innovation ticks all the boxes and children at the earliest age are immersed in a learning experience that will stay with them always.

Education is spectacular at doing the same thing but expecting different results. We have done something different and our results are spectacular.
I know of forty labs operating in our state in Western Australia but there could now be up to one hundred. It’s the best kept secret in science education.

To see a video of the lab go to http://animoto.com/play/JaNo1nIG6pa8Q0LC4kMsuA or visit my website http://www.johnnosscience.com/
Regards
Ric Johnson

6 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Anonymous shared this idea  ·   ·  Admin →

1 comment

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Ivor HickeyIvor Hickey commented  · 

It would be interesting if you developed what you mean by learning together. Is he work investigative and what role do the children play in developing the studies?

Feedback and Knowledge Base