My idea is...

Science Literacy

The story of Science is so mesmerising that to appreciate its innate beauty one has to be scientifically literate. What I mean by this is that for one to understand and appreciate a poem by William Shakespeare, say, one has to be well versed in English; one has to be literate in that language. The same reasoning applies to Science. Like poetry, Science is not just an intellectual activity but a deeply emotional one, too. An activity that touches the core of our being; one that titillates our sense of aesthetics; one that quenches our thirst for knowledge. And if our schools are not able to get this message across then they’re failing our students. By the way, just a small parenthesis here to stress a crucial yet subtle point: the majority of students who fail a given subject do not actually fail; they are failed by the school. And if we understand this, if we are ready to admit that we fail our children as opposed to them failing on their own then we’ll completely change our approach to teaching and to making experts out of the students. It is vital, therefore, that we review how STEM subjects are taught.

3 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    SGSG shared this idea  ·   ·  Admin →

1 comment

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • David MDavid M commented  · 

Thanks very much for this comment. How would you wish to see STEM subjects being taught?

Feedback and Knowledge Base